The integrated (voice & data) communication network of the National Technical University of Athens (NTUA) has been repeatedly presented in Greece and abroad as a successful example of an advanced Academic Network. It provides high quality facilities to support both teaching and research. Very fast access to the Internet as well as to national and international sources of information is provided for all members of NTUA's Academic community. The Network Management Center (NMC) of NTUA is responsible for the management of this network as well as the promotion of the networking culture among NTUA students and staff. It also provides the technical support for the advanced teleteaching infrastructure of NTUA.
More than 4500 computers and 2500 ISDN telephones have been connected to the network so far, while more than 8000 users have access to the network from distance (dial-up). The network is based on structured cabling (fiber optic & UTP cabling category 5).
NMC provides also the technical support for the Advanced teleteaching infrastructure of NTUA.
- Help-desk for the data and voice network of NTUA on a daily basis,
- Dial - up access for staff and students,
- Telephone directory service,
- Maintenance and support of the cabling infrastructure,
- Multimedia Communications,
- Voice mail facilities.
- E-mail servers, providing email facilities to every member of the University Community.
- World Wide Web server. This server contains information for NTUA and its academic departments, phone and e-mail catalog and announcement board.
- Anonymous FTP server. This is the biggest ftp server in Southeastern Europe (contains information of more than 900 Gbytes). Its contents are updated on a daily basis.
- USENET News service . This server is responsible for all the News at NTUA.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Network Management and Design,
- Analysis and Design of Telecommunication Oriented Information Systems,
- Network Simulation,
- Multimedia Communications,
- Tele-teaching Infrastructure
- Technology Transfer.
Design, management and maintenance of the Advanced Telematics Network of NTUA. The network was designed to provide high quality voice and data services to the university community and to provide a high-tech infrastructure for educational and research activities. The Network Management Center (NMC) provides management and troubleshooting (Help Desk) 12 hours per day.
Technical coordination of GRnet - the Greek National Research Network and its international connections. GRnet (www.grnet.gr ) offers high speed INTERNET connectivity among all major Academic and Research Institutions of Greece. Its technical management is coordinated by the Network Management Center of NTUA.
Metropolitan High Performance Network For Teleteaching. Initially this network interconnects the National Technical University of Athens, the University of Athens and the Athens University of Economics and Business.
The main aims of the project include:
- The interconnection of the three Universities at the speed of 155/34Mbps
- Deployment, design and operation of three 'virtual classrooms', one per University,
- Digital video facilities using a 'Video on demand' server,
- Multimedia communications for tele-teaching applications.
- Transfer of medical images of high quality from the University Hospitals (Areteion, Egenition, Eugenidion) to the research labs for the University of Athens, the Technical University of Athens and the Athens University of Economics and Business.
Greek Universities Network (GUnet). NMC cooperates closely with GUnet (www.gunet.gr) the consortium of Greek Universities for Advanced Networking Services by providing the technical management for interconnecting all Greek Universities and Technological Institutions to GRnet.
QUALITY ASSURANCE PROCEDURES
The quality of network services within a Higher Education establishment depends very much on the procedures applied. The Network Management Center has introduced a kind of informal 'service level agreement' with all members of the NTUA's Academic community.
NMC is accepting user requests and complains via standardized hard copy forms (they are also available in electronic way via WWW). These forms can be send to NMC via snail or electronic mail or via fax. As soon as the filled form arrives in NMC the responsible technician fills a trouble ticket. Copies of these trouble tickets including a description of the action taken place are being send to the user. An integrated information system has been developed in house to support the trouble ticket mechanism.
APPLICATIONS FOR NEW CONNECTIONS
New connections to the voice and data networks are established within two working days provided there is no extra need for equipment.
Personal statements are posted internally within the first week of the month.
DEALING WITH USERS REQUESTS AND COMPLAINS
An official answer is given via letter to any of users requests and complains within three working days.
In case that the above deadlines can not be meet by NMC the user receives a letter within one working day.
|Mail Address: ||National Technical University of Athens,|
Network Management Center,
Heroon Polytechniou 9,
Zografou 157 80
|tel: ||+ 30 210 772 1865|
|Fax: ||+ 30 210 772 1866|
| || |